A bunch of recent articles in various IEEE magazines:
- A tale of three disciplines and a revolution by Poore, J.H. in Computer, v37i1.
- The end of science revisited by Horgan, J. in Computer, v37i1.
- IT employment prospects in 2004: a mixed bag by Niederman, F. in Computer, v37i1.
- How is open source affecting software development? by Spinellis, D.; Szyperski, C. in IEEE Software, v21i1. And several other notable articles on software development using open source software in what seems to be an excellent theme issue. (It's sometimes difficult to tell theme issues from the online TOCs)
- Teaching computer science through game design by Overmars, M. in Computer, v37i4.