February 7, 2007

Mamdouh Shoukri chosen as next president of York

I wouldn't normally post on a local announcement like this, but I couldn't resist mentioning that an engineer has been named president of my institution, York University.

Egyptian-born Shoukri, 59, is currently the vice-president (research & international affairs) at McMaster University in Hamilton and a professor of mechanical engineering. A member of the Ontario Research & Innovation Council (ORIC), Shoukri previously worked in various capacities with the Research Division of Ontario Hydro, before becoming a faculty member at McMaster and, later, dean of engineering.

I certainly wish Dr. Shoukri all the best in his new postion (he's starting in July) and I hope to get a chance to meet him and show him around my library.

No comments: