LabLit does these occasional surveys, and they're always interesting.
This one is on finding the Most likely reason a scientist will leave research? and the various options are:
- Can't find a permanent position
- Desires to earn a higher salary
- Sees no correlation between hard work and eventual success
- Wants to make a greater impact on society
- Feels love of science could be better expressed in another career
If you're a research scientist, or if you used to be one and left, you're tagged. It would really be interesting in hearing more on this question.
Btw, I do wish they had a spot on LabLit where they had all the surveys and results listed. Or if they do, they should link to it from each survey so I could find it easily. Hey, LabLit, if you're listening...