January 14, 2009

ScienceOnline '09: How to search the scientific literature

ScienceOnline '09 is in just a couple of days!

The librarian content this year will be Christina Pikas and I presenting on Sunday morning on How to Search the Scientific Literature. Being librarians, that's a topic we could go on and on about, ad nauseum. And since Christina and I come from different institutional contexts (she works at a lab and I work at a large university), I'm sure we'd both come at from different directions anyways!

However, given the savviness level of the participants at ScienceOnline and the unconference aspect of the conference, we thought it would be appropriate to put the question out to the potential audience of the session: What do you want us to talk about?

Are there topics, databases, issues, etc, that you've always wanted to engage the library community with but didn't know who to ask? Are there gripes or complaints? Things you think we should advocate for with the publisher community? Things we could be doing for you?

Have you ever just wondered what science librarians do?

Here's your chance.

Leave a comment on this post or on FriendFeed, email me (jdupuis at yorku dot ca), leave a note on the wiki page. And we'll see what we can do.

You can see who's registered here.

Update 2009.01.14: Bumped up to the top of the blog to give everyone another chance to make suggestions.

2 comments:

flexnib said...

I don't know if this is appropriate for your topic or not, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to get the attention of faculty. In my experience many science faculty don't see the library as being relevant to their needs.

John Dupuis said...

Thanks, CW. That's definitely an issue I'm very interested in. An one I don't really have any answers for. Sometimes it seems I have the ear of faculty at other institutions more than than at my own because of my blog and presence on FriendFeed.

I'll bring it up and see what the SO'09 masses have to say.