March 15, 2005

Computer Science Roundtable at SLA Toronto Conference

I posted the following on PAMNET today:

Hello everyone,

I’m the moderator of the Computer Science Roundtable this year at the Toronto conference.

This year we will all be sitting in a circle to facilitate an open and lively discussion on topics that CS librarians feel are important. I would certainly encourage anyone who has a topic they would like to discuss to let me know so I can add it to the agenda.

To get the ball rolling, some of my ideas for topics are:

1. The incredible shrinking Computer Science Department: the effect of declining enrollments on collections and services

2. Information Literacy Instruction for Computer Science students: is it needed, how to convince faculty and students of its value

3. Open Access, Google and CS scholars’ information seeking behavior

A couple of topics from previous RT’s that people might want to revisit:

1. Safari and other technology ebook packages
2. Lecture Notes in CS: print or online only?

Please feel free to make all the suggestions you want. In particular I would welcome ideas from outside the academic world.

Vendors: I don’t plan on having formal vendor presentations, but if you would like to make specific short announcements, they will certainly be welcome. As well, please feel free to suggest topics for discussion if they are relevant or if you want some quick and dirty input on a fairly broad issue. Just let me know.

We will have an overhead projector available.

For suggestions, you can either post as a comment here or email me at jdupuis at yorku dot ca. Don't feel you have to attend the event to suggest topics. The RT is on Monday June 6, 2005 from 11:30am to 1pm. I hope to see you all there. The conference website is here.

No comments: