April 6, 2007

Friday Fun: Black Eyed Peas Edition

I was despairing for this week's edition, with nothing really standing out from the last week. Until I saw this: Youtube Gems: Alanis Trashes Fergie!

Basically Alanis Morisette covers the Black Eyed Peas song My Humps, deconstructing it in a very clever and illuminating way, revealing just how really repulsive the original is.



I've always found the song itself to be pretty stupid and annoying, but the video has always made me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon. Bravo Alanis! (And I think we can all draw a line from a video like BEPs straight to Kathy Sierra.

From Wikipedia:

Alanis Morissette covered the song in 2007, seemingly as an April Fools' Day prank, although she has not confirmed this.[5] In contrast to the original "My Humps", Morissette's cover is performed slowly and in the style of a torch song, with only a piano accompanying the vocal. On April 2, a video in which Morissette parodies Fergie's dancing moves in the original "My Humps" music video was added to the website YouTube, by April 5, the video had been viewed 2.8 million times.[5] The Associated Press wrote that Morissette's "quiet, somber version only highlights the ridiculousness of Fergie's original lyrics".[6] The video has been hosted on Morissette's official website. On April 5, Perez Hilton reported that Fergie sent Alanis flowers and a note telling her how much she loved the cover.

1 comment:

Dave Bradley said...

I wasn't one of the 2.8m people who downloaded this when it appeared on Youtube, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I wasn't much of an Alanis fan till I saw her Humps.

This really shows up how trite and puerile the original lyrics are but I don't suppose the original singer or songwriter really cares as they're laughing all the way to the bank (allegedly), especially given the added publicity of 2.8m Youtube viewers.

db