April 13, 2007

Friday Fun: Computers in Libraries Edition

In honour of my attendance at next week's Computers in Libraries conference, I though a post making fun of computers would be appropriate. While, this post isn't actually making fun of computers, it does make fun of our imaginary friends in Hollywood and what they wish computers could do, or at least are too ignorant to make sure of first.

Via BoingBoing, the Programming Blog has a post Things Computers Can Do in Movies.

A couple for your reading pleasure:

7. Note: Command line interfaces will give you access to any information you want by simply typing, “ACCESS THE SECRET FILES” on any near-by keyboard.

8. You can also infect a computer with a destructive virus by simply typing “UPLOAD VIRUS”. (See “Fortress”.)

9. All computers are connected. You can access the information on the villain’s desktop computer even if it’s turned off.

And speaking of CiL, I'll be there next week (my first one! YAY!). I'm not organized enough to predict the sessions that will catch my interest, but I can't imagine the conference is so big that if anyone wants to track me down, they won't be able to. Email me (I'm leaving Sunday aft, hopefully to the hotel by 6 or 7.) or just hunt me down. Let's have breakfast/lunch/dinner/drinks/coffee. I'm staying the the Radisson Reagan National Hotel.

I will be posting session summaries, but whether or not I do so from the conference depends mostly on how keen I'm feeling in the evenings to hunt down free wireless access (my hotel doesn't mention it) or go down to the hotel business center.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I'll look for you at CiL. I'll only be there Monday afternoon/evening and Tuesday morning for sure because of schoolwork.

I think there's free wireless in the lobby -- also if you give Don Hawkins your name as a conference blogger you get a fabu ribbon and access to the press room with wireless and chairs and tables and power strips. IM or e-mail me if you need his contact info.