April 20, 2007

Friday Post

No fun today. As many of you know, I have a lot of connections to the science fiction community and I thought I would remember Jamie Bishop, the son of author Michael Bishop (wikipedia) who died tragically at Virginia Tech this week. In retrospect, it's a bit surreal that I was in Virginia as it was happening; conferences can be oddly cocooning experiences.

I would like to extend my condolences to the Bishop family and friends as well as to all those who lost someone. I've never met Michael or Jamie, although I did exchange a few postcards with Michael about 15 years ago when I bought a few signed books directly from him. Michael's long been one of my favourite authors with Brittle Innings one of my very favourite novels. It's perhaps the greatest Frankenstein's-monster-baseball novels of all time.

No comments: