January 14, 2007

Confessions on a plane!

Inspired by Walt's idea of creating a best-of file of notable posts that people can use as plane/train/automobile reading while travelling to a conference, I've created a pdf file with all the posts from the My Job in 10 Years series. Eleven pages and approximately 5500 words, no less.

In any case, Walt's Cites on a Plane 2007 contains a brief exerpt and some commentary from one of the Collections related posts from my series. Walt's essays are, as usual, great reading, and I hope that those of you who find the brief taste of the My Job series interesting will give the series a try.

It's complete through the Collections commentary, with further sections to follow in the next month or two; I plan on adding each new post to the pdf as I complete them. I hope to be finished the Instruction post this week.

4 comments:

waltc said...

Ah, but there's a difference: Putting the essays together (particularly once you finish them) makes a new essay with new meaning. Good stuff. Glad I could be inspirational. I'll even read 11 pages of, sigh, sans serif...

John Dupuis said...

Thanks, Walt. I've meant to combine them into one file for a while, but always figured I'd wait until I'm done. Oddly, the new strategy probably encourages me to finish faster since I know I'll end up with something significant at the end.

Being particularly design-challenged (just ask my wife ;-), I apologize for using sans serif. Is there a better font I should use? Which one do you use for C&I? Fortunately it's trivial to change the font & re-upload.

Oreopithecus bambolii said...

Serif fonts are generally easier to read in large blocks. Some good, generally-available serif fonts include Lucida Bright, Georgia, Garamond, and Palatino; Charter and Utopia are also nice, though I'm not sure they're as easy to find.

John Dupuis said...

Thanks, Jonathon, I'll try one of those fonts next time I regenerate the file.